The WORD in other words (2021) by Fr. Rodrigo Salac, SVD (Davao City)
September 8, Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Today the Church celebrates the dawning of the day of Redemption – the moment when Mary, who was to be the Mother of our Savior, was born (Ordo 2020 p 164). The whole of creation owes a lot to the Virgin Mother:
– For giving birth to the Savior of the World.
– For taking care (together with Joseph) of the little Jesus until he grew up to be strong in body and full of wisdom (Lk 2:52)
– For accompanying Jesus in his public life until he died in Calvary. The New Testament is silent about what happened to Mary and Jesus after his burial and resurrection.
For all these:
– Let us Praise the Lord.
– Let us give thanks to the Lord.
– Let us Bless the Lord.
– Let us joyfully celebrate Mary’s birthday.
Today we also celebrate the birthday of the SVD. This congregation of Religious Missionary Brothers and Priests is one among the many missionary groups who trekked through plains and mountains, braved stormy seas, and even stared at death to proclaim the Good News to all the earth. Neither fear nor failure dampened the spirit of these godly people.
The effort spent in proclaiming the Good News, though massive and great, is still dwarfed by the real need for it. For the mission work done in the past, let us say:
– Thank you, Lord, for your Divine Providence.
– Thank you, Lord, for St. Arnold Janssen of the SVD.
– Thank you, Lord, for all the other Founders of missionary congregations.
For the future missionary work, let us be reminded of what Jesus said in Lk 10:2 – “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”