The Vigan Method (Philippines)
Opening Prayer or Song
– Reading the text: One member reads it aloud.
– Silence for about three minutes. Each chooses a word, phrase or verse which strikes personally.
– Sharing of the word, phrase or verse only.
– Reading: another member reads the same text aloud.
– Silence for about five minutes. Each one listens intently to God’s personal message to him/her.
– Sharing of the Word for me with the others: The group members share what they have heard in their hearts, trying to use only the first person singular (I, me, my).
Third Step The Word demands a Response.
– Reading: After all have shared, another member reads the text aloud for a third time.
– Silence and personal answer to the Word: In silence each one tries to find an answer to the personal Word of God, for instance, expressing trust if the Word was a promise.
– Sharing of the personal prayer response: Each one expresses aloud his/her answer to the Word, so that it may be confirmed through the “Amen” of the others.
Conclusion: A prayer of praise/thanks, a song, or the Lord’s Prayer.